• Chocolate ingestion is hazardous to pets; if you suspect your pet has eaten chocolate, chocolate-containing products, or cocoa bean hull mulch, contact your veterinarian immediately
• Describe the type of chocolate and amount of exposure to your veterinarian; take your pet to a veterinary hospital as a potential poisoning emergency
• Chocolate is among the 20 most common poisonings reported in recent literature by small animal veterinary practices, animal poison control centers, and human poison control centers
• Keep chocolate in a secure location, out of reach of pets
• Be especially careful around holidays when chocolate products and candies are readily available
• Do not use cocoa bean hull mulch in areas accessible to pets
Charles P. Beall, D.V.M.
Dr. Beall graduated from Oklahoma State School of Veterinary Medicine in June of 1979. He practiced in a mixed animal practice in Harrah, Oklahoma for 3 years. Read More…